Academic writing style: Hedging
Identify the hedging expressions in the following sentences.
- There is no difficulty in explaining how a structure such as an eye
or a feather contributes to survival and reproduction; the difficulty is in
thinking of a series of steps by which it could have arisen.
- For example, it is possible to see that in January this person
weighed 60.8 kg for eight days,
- For example, it may be necessary for the spider to leave the branch
on which it is standing, climb up the stem, and walk out along another
- Escherichia coli , when found in conjunction with urethritis, often
indicate infection higher in the uro-genital tract.
- There is experimental work to show that a week or ten days may not be
long enough and a fortnight to three weeks is probably the best theoretical
- Conceivably, different forms, changing at different rates and showing
contrasting combinations of characteristics, were present in different
- One possibility is that generalized latent inhibition is likely to be
weaker than that produced by pre-exposure to the CS itself and thus is more
likely to be susceptible to the effect of the long interval.
- For our present purpose, it is useful to distinguish two kinds of
chemical reaction, according to whether the reaction releases energy or
- It appears to establish three categories: the first contains wordings
generally agreed to be acceptable, the second wordings which appear to have
been at some time problematic but are now acceptable, and the third wordings
which remain inadmissible.
Press this button to check your answers: