Academic writing style
Exercise 1: Passives
Rewrite these sentences. Instead of using 'people', 'somebody', or
'they', write a passive sentence with an appropriate verb form.
Example: We can solve the problem. The problem can be
- Someone had reported the theft to the police.
- Someone has given £1,000 to the charity.
- Someone will demonstrate the program to the students.
- Someone explained the procedure to me.
- People are destroying large areas of forest every day.
- Somebody has bought the land next to the university.
- I hope they will have completed all the marking by tomorrow.
- They should have finished the library by the time you arrive.
- People expect better results soon.
- Students should send their complaints to the head of department.
- They had to postpone the lecture because of illness.
- An electrical fault could have caused the fire.
- They are going to hold next year's conference in Birmingham.
- Everyone knows this fact very well.
- They opened the new lecture theatre only last month.
- You must write the answers on the examination paper in black
- They are now manufacturing this type of computer in Korea.
- Someone should investigate the problem.
Press this button to check your answers: